Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to protect your home from lightning damage is to install a whole-house/building surge protector. This cannot protect from a direct lightning strike, but it can help reduce the risk of any damage from one. During a thunderstorm you can take necessary precautions such as unplugging all electronic equipment so there is no direct connection to the electricity.
- Find the breaker panel, usually located in the utility room, basement, or garage.
- Turn off every circuit breaker one at a time.
- Reset the main breaker.
- Next turn each breaker back on, one by one.
Although it does not happen often, it is beneficial to have a few supplies prepared when the power does go out unexpectedly. Store these supplies:
- Matches or lighter
- Water bottles
- Emergency radio
An ethernet cable is an efficient and direct connection to a router and the most common type of cable used in a wired network. An ethernet cable connects wired devices together to a local network in order to share files as well as Internet access. The benefit of an ethernet cable over a wireless router is a faster and more reliable connection to the Internet.
The following is an updated listing of home appliances that require their own dedicated circuits. Check with your local building authority for any updates to this list.
- Electric over/range/cooktop
- Electric water heater
- Furance, including heat pump
- Garbage disposal
- Sump pump
DIY electrical work can be both dangerous and complicated if you do not already have the necessary training and experience. The type of electrical work that must be completed by a professional includes:
- Upgrading circuit breakers
- Adding GFCI receptacles (ground fault circuit interrupter) and USB ports
- Installing additional outlets in your home
- Upgrading or installing outdoor lighting
Serving Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers, and the entire Indianapolis area, Aaron's Electric is proud to provide trusted and expert electrical services. Request your free quote by calling (317) 867-5445.